Vinson & Elkins LLP
1001 Fannin Street
Houston, TX 77002
An accomplished lawyer with more than 20 years of experience, Scot’s principal area of practice involves commercial real estate transactions, including real estate aspects of energy, project development, and project finance transactions. His experience includes representing publicly traded corporations in mergers and acquisitions, and development partnerships in large-scale projects. Prior to joining the firm in December 2006, Scot was a partner in the Houston office of an Am Law 100 firm.
- St. Luke’s Episcopal Health System in its $1 billion transfer to the Catholic Health Initiatives
- Dyno Nobel Inc. in the development of an $850 million anhydrous ammonia plant in Louisiana, including project development arrangements, real estate and environmental matters, and ammonia offtake
- Dart Container Corp. in approximately $2 billion first- and second-lien secured financing from Oneida Investment Company
- An infrastructure-focused private equity firm in the $850 million refinancing of a marine terminal company and facility
- Huntsman Corporation in its $1.1 billion acquisition of the performance additives and titanium dioxide businesses of Rockwood Holdings
- A municipal hospital authority in the sale of the campus of a suburban Houston hospital, including the hospital buildings, professional office buildings, ancillary buildings, parking areas and land for future development; transaction included structuring performance incentives for covenants of purchaser to build additional facilities and to operate a hospital on the campus
The Real Estate Law Practice:
With a national platform and global network, Vinson & Elkins’ Commercial Real Estate practice provides sophisticated, comprehensive counsel to meet our clients’ many commercial real estate needs. We apply our depth and breadth of experience in advising owners, developers, investors, lenders, real estate operating and services firms, landlords, and tenants on all legal aspects in the space. Our group negotiates complex real estate deals, effectively documents transactions, and expeditiously resolves permitting, land use, zoning, and other issues.
V&E lawyers have decades of experience representing investment funds, institutional investors, and individual investors. We help our clients form joint ventures, and acquire, finance, develop, manage, lease, restructure, and sell all types of commercial properties, including retail, office, hotels, industrial, multifamily, mixed-use, brownfields properties, and vacant land. Our lawyers are particularly adept at resolving multi-jurisdictional complexities related to building and managing diverse portfolios of real estate. We also advise regarding ways to structure, optimize, and leverage real estate holdings, national development programs, and cross-border investments.
V&E is highly regarded for managing complicated financial structures, equity investments, and securitizations, as well as conventional, mezzanine, and other structured finance arrangements. We also handle distressed situations by guiding our clients through the intricacies of refinancings, restructurings, and bankruptcy.
Drawing on the resources of our full-service firm, we offer proactive counsel, identifying and evaluating risks, and devising strategies to limit our clients’ exposure. Our services extend to litigating claims, representing clients before regulatory agencies, and resolving disputes related to employment, landlord-tenant, and franchise issues. We also address environmental concerns, conduct due diligence, assure regulatory compliance, and advise on tax-efficient structuring and tax credit qualification.
Vinson & Elkins LLP:
Collaborating seamlessly across 14 offices worldwide, Vinson & Elkins LLP provides outstanding client service. Our lawyers are committed to excellence, offering clients experience in handling their transactions, investments, projects and disputes across the globe.
Established in 1917, the firm’s time-tested role as trusted advisor has made V&E a go-to law firm for many of the world’s leading businesses.