Bockenheimer Anlage 44
60322 Frankfurt am Main
Tel: +49 69 27 30 80
Fax: +49 69 23 26 64
Rolf deals with high calibre litigation and arbitration matters for different kinds of clients. Many of these large-scale civil law disputes arise out of M&A transactions and post-compliance issues. In addition to acting as counsel for clients, Rolf also sits as an arbitrator.
He strives to take an approach that is both creative and pragmatic to the problems that his clients face. His attitude is that a dispute resolution lawyer should be persistent and have a commercial approach.
A significant portion of his work relates to the automotive industry and he heads the firm’s Automotive Sector Group. Rolf nevertheless has been involved with a wide range of clients in other sectors over his 25 years of practice.
He is a member of the ICC Court of Arbitration in Paris representing Germany and has built up an impressive volume of academic work. He is also a Professor at the University of Frankfurt teaching international arbitration, cross-border litigation and key qualifications for lawyers. He also is editor of the German Journal for Arbitration (SchiedsVZ). Rolf also is in demand as a speaker on various arbitration and litigation topics.
RECENT DEALS & HIGHLIGHTS:
- Advising a German industry conglomerate in relation to post-compliance follow-on damage claims
- Advising professional services firm in connection with litigation before German courts
- Acting as arbitrator in several cross-border post M&A disputes
- Representing automobile manufacturers in several institutional arbitration proceedings in relation to distribution issues
- Acting for a telecomunications conglomerate in court proceedings before German courts relating to antitrust issues
- Representing a German bank in court proceedings relating to the sale of a daughter company
CAREER TO DATE:
- 1986 Admission to German bar
- 1986/1987 Studies at the University of California Berkeley (LL.M.)
- 1987/1988 Teaching Assistant at University of Munich
- 1988 Dr. jur, University of Frankfurt am Main
- since 1989 Work for Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (or predecessor firms), since 1993 as partner
- since 2005 lecturer at the University of Frankfurt am Main, since 2012 as ‘Honorarprofessor”
- since 2009 German member at the ICC Court of Arbitration in Paris
QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION
Rolf has obtained a doctoral degree (Dr. iur) from the University of Frankfurt and an LLM qualification from the University of California at Berkeley. He received the title of a “Honorarprofessor” from the University in Frankfurt in 2012.