McGlinchey Stafford PLLC
505 20th Street North
Birmingham, AL 35203
Tel: (205) 725-6409
Fax: (205) 314-7625
Robert Gardner represents clients in the areas of tax, estate planning, and business law. He has extensive experience in trusts and estates, probate, estate administration, trust and estate litigation, business succession planning, business organizations, tax controversies, taxation, and corporate law.
Robert represents fiduciaries in trust, estate, and tax conflicts and litigation. He counsels fiduciaries on the proper administration of trusts and estates and on the resolution of conflicts. He also counsels business owners about ownership, management, and disposition/succession agreements between themselves and their business partners and investors, and also works with small businesses to plan the appropriate entity structure.
Robert is a frequent speaker on a variety of topics relating to trusts, estates, and taxation issues.
- Represented taxpayers in Section 1031 like-kind exchanges, including delayed, reverse, and multiparty exchanges.
- Structured the sale of a multimillion-dollar business to successive generation.
- Represented taxpayer in sale of business through use of a private annuity.
- Successfully settled a U.S. Tax Court case where IRS asserted a tax deficiency of $11 million, and obtained favorable settlements in IRS audit examinations involving family partnerships.
- National Association of Estate Planning Professionals, Accredited Estate Planner
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama Law Institute Standing Trust Committee
- Estate Planning Council of Birmingham, Inc., Member and Past President
- Martindale-Hubbell™ AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated Lawyer
- The Best Lawyers in America® (Tax Law), 2010–2016; (Trusts and Estates); 2011–2016
- Alabama Super Lawyers (Estate Planning & Probate, Estate & Trust Litigation, Tax: Business), 2015–2016
The Estate & Trust Law Practice:
Our estate planning counsel of individuals, families, and fiduciaries includes estates and assets ranging from the relatively simple to multigenerational and complex holdings.
For individuals and families and family-owned business entities, our attorneys create valuable strategies to minimize tax liability and prevent conflict. The establishment of private foundations is a significant practice focus.
Among the tools we recommend in the development of estate plans are:
- Charitable trusts and planned gifts
- Irrevocable trusts
- Life insurance trusts
- Living trusts (inter vivos)
- Marital agreements – pre and post nuptial
- Pour over wills
- Special needs trusts
- Testamentary trusts
Clients receive legal guidance from tax specialists and leading authorities on estate planning, charitable gift planning, retirement planning, gift taxes, business succession, and intergenerational transfers of wealth.
McGlinchey Stafford PLLC:
McGlinchey Stafford was founded, four decades ago, with the intent of providing alternatives to staid legal approaches. Instead of being bound by convention and tradition, we focus on our clients’ businesses to innovate and customize solutions to their legal challenges. From Fortune 5 to Fortune 500 companies, governmental authorities, industrial leaders, entrepreneurial organizations and pioneers, we provide clients with the highest level of attention and service. We call it practicing where business and law intersect.
Since opening our doors in 1974 in New Orleans, the firm has expanded to 13 offices that are strategically aligned to most effectively meet our clients’ needs. Now, lawyers operate from offices in Alabama, California, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, Ohio, Texas, and Washington, DC, with capacity to represent clients in matters in all 50 states and internationally.