Njeri Kariuki Advocate
Hughes Building, Muindi Mbingu Street
P.O. Box 79647, City Square
Tel: + 254 02 2217936
Fax: + 254 02 2217936
Njeri is an advocate who has specialised in resolving disputes through arbitration and adr. During the course of her career, she has delivered awards as a sole arbitrator spanning the petroleum, insurance, banking, industry & corporate sectors, mainly in the domestic arena. Njeri has also sat on several three panel tribunals, as co-arbitrator, determining disputes in similar sectors. Besides being an arbitrator, Njeri is also an accredited mediator and is listed as a trainer & a tutor of several courses with the AFL of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. In addition, Njeri has sat as Chair of a Dispute Adjudication Board set-up to midwife an international geothermal project to fruition.
In her primary profession as an advocate, Njeri takes on, in the main, non-contentious matters in the realm of real estate (conveyancing) law, probate & succession, commercial contracts, company/business formations & company secretarial matters.
- Nomination by the Government of the Republic of Kenya to the Panel of Arbitrators at ICSID
- Attaining Chartered Arbitrator status in 2008, just to find that there are very female Chartered Arbitrators the world over
- 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017 Citations in Chambers Global as a Leading Individual
- 2015 & 2016 Citations in Expert Guides as one of the World’s leading practitioners in Commercial Arbitration
- 2017 Arbitration Award in Kenya from International Advisory Experts
- Corporate INTL Global Award – Commercial Arbitration Law Firm in Kenya
Trained with Kaplan & Stratton, Advocates (1987/88) and was admitted to the Kenyan Bar in December 1988. Associate with Walker Kontos, Advocates 1988-1990; Partner, Walker Kontos, Advocates 1990-1992. Proprietor of Njeri Kariuki Advocate since 1993, a Chartered Arbitrator since August 2008 and in July 2016, Njeri was certified as an Accredited Mediator by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Committee Member of the Kenya Branch of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Member of the Law Society of Kenya, East Africa Law Society, FIDA, Fellow of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya, Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Member, LCIA African Users Council, Member, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation, ICCA, SIAC Users Council – Africa (by invitation only).
- Written and presented papers on international commercial arbitration, during the 10th Joint Annual Seminar of the London Branch of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators & the LCIA held in September 2014.
- Written and presented a paper on Commercial Mediation in Africa, during the Centenary Conference of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators held in July 2015 in Livingstone, Zambia.
- 2014 Chambers Legal Practice Guide on Litigation (Kenya Chapter).
- International Arbitration in the 2016 Chambers Country Practice Guides.
- Global Legal Group’s International Comparative Legal Guide 2016 & 2017.
- Lexology Navigator Arbitration 2016.
- Practical Law – Arbitration Global Guide 2016.
- Written and presented a paper entitled “Building an Effective Arbitral Practice in Africa: what tools do you need?” at the Joint IBA/ICC Conference held on 5th June, 2017, in Nairobi.
EXPERT IN THESE JURISDICTIONS
World-wide as an arbitrator, mediator and adr practitioner; Republic of Kenya.
After a two year stint at the University of Nairobi, Njeri went on to study Law at Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, after completing her BA at York University, Toronto. Njeri holds a Diploma in International Arbitration (CIArbn., Keble College, Oxford) and lives in Nairobi all year round where she thoroughly enjoys the company of her 3 children. She is a travel, kick-boxing & power-walking enthusiast.