Ibarra, del Paso, Gallego y Berezowsky, S.C.
Juan Salvador Agraz 50 Piso 7, Santa Fe
Ciudad de México
Tel: +52 (55) 5202-0717
Fax: +52 (55) 5202-0717
Gerardo is a founder and partner of Ibarra, del Paso, Gallego y Berezowsky, S.C., where he specializes in Real Estate, Corporate Law (including corporate governance and policy compliance) and Business Transactions.
Gerardo is admitted to practice law in Mexico since 2006. He has more than eight years of experience advising foreign and domestic investors doing business in Mexico. He has participated in several transactions of stock, asset and real property purchase and sale agreements, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions among others. Additionally, he has represented various companies with the preparation, negotiation and review of all sorts of contracts, likewise with Real Estate, Mining, Financial, Banking, Foreign Investment, Immigration and Industrial Property matters, as well as due diligence processes thereof.
During 2012 Gerardo worked with Fox, Horan & Camerini, LLP in New York City, where he participated in a number of cross-border transactions and regulatory matters in the United States and Latin America.
Gerardo obtained his Law degree (JD/LL.B. equivalent) from Universidad Anáhuac (Mexico City) in 2006. He also obtained a degree of Master of Business Administration (MBA) at the Graduates School of Business Management (EGADE) of the Instituto Tecnológico de Monterrey (TEC) in 2011.
In 2008 he obtained a post-graduate degree diploma (diplomado) in Business Law from the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM). In 2015 he obtained an specialization post graduate degree in Commercial Law at the Escuela Libre de Derecho (Mexico City); and in 2017 he tended a managing skills perfecting program D-1 by Instituto Panamericano de Alta Dirección de Empresas (“IPADE”)
TEACHING & PUBLICATIONS:
Gerardo has been an adjunct professor of Law at the Irish Institute. He is currently an adjunct professor and collaborates at the post-graduate degree diploma in Real Estate and Tourism Law with ITAM.
He is principal to the Legal and Business English Class and the Negotiation Seminar imparted at the Law Master Program (LLM equivalent) by Universidad Anahuac México Sur since 2015.
Gerardo has participated in the publication of specialized articles on legal subjects regarding corporate governance, internal-policy compliance and real estate law. Likewise, he is a contributor of the book Real Estate Law: Select Topics and Sector Perspectives, by Editorial Porrúa and ITAM (www.mexicanrealestatelawbook.com).
The Real Estate Law Practice:
The Firm represents an array of investors, both domestic and foreign, including developers, construction companies and funds with real estate portfolios and investments in all areas of the real estate business in Mexico: industrial, commercial (including offices, retail and tourism-hotel deals/hospitality) and residential.
Among other operations and services, we have experience providing legal advice and support in the following matters:
- Acquisition, disposition, financing and leasing of real estate assets in Mexico, including sale and leasebacks among other types of structures, together with the review of the tax effects resulting from such transactions.
- Negotiation and implementation of various titles governing real estate (granting of use), such as long-term lease agreements and structuring of different terms for the purchase and sale and development of real properties, including trust (fideicomiso) agreements, promise and escrow agreements.
- Structuring of owner-property regimes for different uses (including mixed-uses), as well as legal advice for the construction, supervision and development of real properties in Mexico.
- Legal due diligence and structuring for the acquisition and disposition of real estate distressed assets, as well as the separation of real properties from the agrarian regime and compliance with various regulatory covenants, such as land use and zoning and environmental, among others.
- Joint ventures and M&A transactions with real estate and infrastructure components.
- Negotiation of title insurance policies and escrow transactions.
Hand in hand with our environmental, regulatory and corporate practices, our experience and synergies with the different professionals and technicians who participate in the real estate business (such as notary publics, brokers, appraisers, surveyors, trustees and title insurers, as well as environmental consultants and laboratories) allow us to react in a timely and consistent manner on every real estate transaction.
Ibarra, del Paso, Gallego y Berezowsky:
We are a law firm that provides legal advice and high standard services in a timely, consistent and strategic manner in transactional matters across a diverse and sophisticated array of practice areas.
The Firm advises and represents Mexican and foreign companies in their business operations within Mexico and abroad.
We have detailed work plans and flexible fee arrangements to meet every client’s needs and financial requirements, as well as an institutional dynamism which allows us to uniquely anticipate and respond effectively to the market’s rapidly changing and competitive demands.
Our professional practice is oriented around fundamental core values, including ethics, client loyalty and adherence to sound principles of law with a practical and business approach. Our legal practice focuses and specializes principally in Real Estate, Environment and Business Transactions.