6th Floor, HCO Building (Melia)
44B Ly Thuong Kiet Street
Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi, Vietnam
Tel: (84-24) 3934 8530
Fax: (84-24) 3934 8531
To many clients and peers, Dang Duong Anh is one of the most reliable and result-oriented Vietnamese lawyers. Dang Duong Anh’s broad experience covers corporate & M&A, foreign direct investment, infrastructure & energy projects, project finance, tax, real estate and property, mining, automobile and telecommunications.
His highlighted M&A transactions include advising Siam Cement Group in acquiring a group of cement production companies valued at US$440 million and acquiring Prime Group valued at about US$240 million; advising Showa Aluminum Can Corporation in acquiring 90% share capital in Hanacans, valued at about US$110 million; advising J-Power in acquiring, and later divesting from, Nhon Trach 2 Power Plant; advising Bao Minh Company and SCIC in selling their entire equity capital in Bao Minh-CMG to Daiichi Life Insurance, the acquisition of a large automobile manufacturer in Hanoi, and other large-scale M&A transactions.
In infrastructure and energy and project finance he assisted on, among others, the Vinh Tan 1 BOT project – IFLR and ALB’s Project Finance Deal of the Year, Phu My 3 BOT project and Kien Luong 1 BOO project, and Ban Phuc Nickel Mining JVC.
Anh was recognized by IFLR 1000 as a Leading Lawyer for financial and corporate work in 2016 and 2017, and for energy & infrastructure work in 2014 and 2015. He was named a Leading Lawyer for corporate/M&A by AsiaLaw for four successive years from 2014 to 2017.
Chambers & Partners 2017:
Described by market sources as “very skilled and responsive,” Dang Duong Anh recently advised Techcomdeveloper Projects Development on the VND2.11 billion acquisition of a real estate project. He is also well regarded for his expertise in the energy sector.
The Corporate & M&A Practice:
The Corporate/M&A department is the largest of VILAF. The teams are busy advising clients in M&A transactional document negotiations, performing due diligence exercises and advising long-term clients on all legal aspects of their on-going business operations. VILAF is ranked on the 1st tier in Vietnam for the M&A Practice by most reputable international legal surveys.
In 2012, VILAF won the “Vietnam Deal Firm of the Year 2012” ALB Award.
Below are several of VILAF’s recent transactions:
- Advising Siam City Cement in the US$560 million acquisition of LafargeHolcim’s 65% shares in Holcim Cement Vietnam;
- Advising SCG Group in its US$440 million acquisition of 100% cement businesses in Vietnam Construction Material JSC;
- Advising JX Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation in the US$185 million acquisition of 8% of Vietnam National Petroleum Group (Petrolimex), which is the biggest import/export and retail brand name in Vietnam for petroleum distribution. This is the first time that Petrolimex has opened to foreign investment;
- Advising ANA Holdings in the US$105 million acquisition of 8% equity in Vietnam Airlines;
- Advising Mondelez in the acquisition of all the food business of Kinh Do Corporation, a listed company in Vietnam. This is the first ever signed transaction in Vietnam in which a foreign investor acquires a controlling interest in a listed company. The first phase of the transaction is valued at US$370 million;
- Advising SCG Group in its US$250 million acquisition of Prime Group;
- Advising KKR in its acquisition of the regional international school chain including Ho Chi Minh City International School;
- Advising a consortium of foreign investors acquiring a controlling equity interest in South Hoi An Project, a US$4 billion casino, hotel and residential integrated project in Vietnam, from VinaCapital;
- Advising Vingroup in the merger between Vincom and Vinpearl for the full consolidation of investment portfolio of Vingroup;
- Advising Showa Aluminum Can Corporation and Showa Denko K.K. in their acquisition of more than 90% share capital in Hanacans, valued at about US$110 million (including debts);
- Advising Unicharm Corporation (Japan) in its US$128 million acquisition of absolute control in Diana Joint Stock Company;
- Advising GE in relation to the acquisition of Alstom SA’s power & grid businesses in Vietnam, as part of GE’s larger worldwide acquisition of such Alstom SA’s power business; and
- Advising Nguyen Kim, the largest chain of electronic retail stores in Vietnam, in its sale of equity stake to Central Group, a Thai retail corporation.
VILAF was formed during the dawn of Vietnam’s foreign investment laws and has ever since worked alongside with the development of Vietnam’s system of business and investment laws, with the growth of the Government’s experience in handling business legal matters and most importantly with the growth of VILAF’s clients’ business in Vietnam.
With more than 20 years of experience, VILAF continues to be one of the preeminent business law firms in Vietnam. VILAF is a full-serviced law firm, dedicating to many clients who have been working with us for many years, among Ford, Philip Morris, Bunge, Shell, BNP Paribas, Citibank, SMBC, SCB, ANZ, Mizuho, BTMU, SCG, Marubeni, etc.
With a team of senior lawyers who have worked with the Government in the development of Vietnamese business and investment laws for years, VILAF has the insights to the interpretation of the laws and policies. VILAF also has lawyers qualified to practice laws in other countries, including UK, US, Japan, Korea and the Philippines. Extensive international experience and in–depth knowledge of Vietnam’s political culture and legal development have put VILAF lawyers in the best position to advise clients on the laws and the practice of Vietnam and help them assessing risks and developing solutions. Our approach is client-focus and solution-oriented. We cut through complexity to provide clear and insightful answers.
VILAF has been consistently ranked as a 1st tier law firm by reputable legal directories such as Legal 500, Chambers and Partners, IFLR, ALB and AsiaLaw in all key legal practices including Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate and M&A, Energy & Infrastructure, Dispute Resolution, Real Property and Foreign Investment.