Murphy Rice, LLP
400 Plaza Building
210 S. Michigan Street
South Bend, IN 46601
Charles P. Rice was born on Long Island, New York. One of ten children, Charlie attended grade school and high school in the South Bend area. In 1985, he was awarded a B.A. in government from the University of Notre Dame. Charlie graduated from Notre Dame Law School in 1988.
After working for several years as a trial attorney for an insurance defense firm, Charlie established a successful solo practice in South Bend in 1992. In 2001, Charlie joined forces with Pat Murphy to build a litigation practice which has received national recognition for its advocacy.
Charlie’s practice is devoted to civil litigation. His strong litigation skills and sound judgment have repeatedly earned him recognition from professional organizations. For example, Charlie has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2013 to 2016) in the field of Personal Injury Litigation—Plaintiffs. Even more significantly, individuals, corporations, and other law firms throughout the United States regularly turn to Charlie for his trusted legal advice and personal and professional skill in handling highly sensitive or complex civil litigation.
Charlie served in the United States Army Reserve for eight years and was honorably discharged in 1992. Charlie is an avid hockey player and enjoys playing competitively and for charity events. He and his wife, Rachel, have three children and reside in Mishawaka, Indiana.
- Admitted to practice in the state and federal courts in Indiana and Illinois, as well as before the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Recognized as an Indiana “Super Lawyer” in 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2010 in the area of plaintiff’s personal injury litigation.
- Recognized as Indiana Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year, 2013″ in the area of plaintiff’s personal injury litigation.
- Has had courtroom verdicts and victories reported in numerous national media outlets, including the Washington Times, the National Verdict Reporter, ESPN, Chicago Tribune, and the Indianapolis Star.
- Has handled numerous appeals, including on behalf of other law firms, and successfully argued cases before the Indiana Court of Appeals, the Indiana Supreme Court, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Serves as an instructor for the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Foundation in the areas of contested adoptions and litigation.
Murphy Rice, LLP:
The attorneys at Murphy Rice, LLP have established solid reputations for combining the expertise, skills, and quality ordinarily associated with the litigation departments of large firms with the responsiveness and personal service that are traditional hallmarks of a smaller firm. We have successfully represented clients throughout the United States, ranging from Fortune 500 companies and small businesses to individuals.
Our practice is focused on business litigation. We have substantial litigation experience in the areas of breach of contract, non-compete, trade secrets, insurance coverage, construction, torts, products liability, creditor’s rights, and shareholder and partnership matters. Our employment law practice encompasses litigation and administrative proceedings. We also provide counseling and advice in all types of business matters, including employment discrimination.
We are committed to providing our clients with aggressive, cost efficient representation in federal and state courts and in all forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution. Our attorneys have extensive federal and state trial experience across a variety of substantive areas of the law. Our experience shapes the advice our firm provides on a daily basis. Our lawyers are seasoned litigators. Our experience and personal and professional skills not only give us an edge in the courtroom, but are invaluable assets as we counsel our clients before any litigation arises. We are creative problem-solvers who fully explore alternative resolutions before proceeding to trial. We also believe that sound, proactive legal advice can help avoid litigation problems down the road. At the same time, we understand that being prepared to win at trial is the most effective way to achieve a positive result for our clients before and during pretrial negotiations.
Our firm has the experience and resources needed to successfully represent our clients in even the most challenging cases. We continually integrate the latest in legal technology with an old-fashioned work ethic so our clients always receive an exceptional level of service. Our commitment to excellence helps us provide businesses and individuals, alike, with the responsive, common-sense legal advice and tenacious advocacy they deserve.