Trident Financial Centre
Highway 7, Hastings
Christ Church, Barbados
Tel: (246) 427 9264
Fax: (246) 429-8056
Barry is an Attorney of 36 years standing, having obtained his Law Degree with honours from the University of Cardiff, in the United Kingdom in 1976. He then joined the Society of the Middle Temple and was called to the Bar in England in 1977.
Having been admitted to practice in Barbados in 1980 and in St. Vincent and the Grenadines in 1983, he began his practice of law not only as an Advocate/Barrister, but also in non-contentious practice of law. Barry is also admitted to practice Law in Trinidad and Tobago and is generally qualified to practice Law in the English speaking Caribbean.
Barry has extensive experience in the commercial field including, conveyancing, mortgages, incorporations, partnerships, corporate acquisitions, mergers, joint ventures, corporate finance, public offerings.
Barry’s Civil Litigation practice includes appearances in the High Court and Court of Appeal of Barbados, the Privy Council in England and the Caribbean Court of Justice. His litigation experience in Court has encompassed virtually all aspects of Civil Litigation, including but not limited to Corporate, Commercial, Banking, Insurance, Personal Injury, Property, Admiralty, Cross-Border and Multi-Jurisdictional Litigation. In addition, Barry has appeared as Counsel in major Arbitration Proceedings. Barry was awarded the honour of Queens Counsel in the year 2002.
He has also been a Director of many public and private companies and previously was a Director of The Barbados National Bank (now Republic Bank) from 1994 to 2004. He is also a former Director of the Insurance Corporation of Barbados, and is currently a Director of several local and off-shore companies.
Barry, also being a Member of Council of the Barbados Bar Association was elected President of the said Association on May 18, 2013. He still remains on Council and also sits as a member of Judicial Council (which has responsiblility for the Law Courts and the administration of Justice) as well as the Rules Committee of the Supreme Court.
The Firms Transactional Experience Includes:
- International finance transactions involving Swiss Re-insurance Company and Barclays Bank PLC involving US $1.15 Billion.
- Ship Finance Syndicated loan transaction involving US $119M
- Finance transactions with Deutsche Bank AG and Landesbank.
- Re-financing of local Hotel groups involving US $34.5M
- Syndicated loan transaction between Bank of Nova Scotia, Barclays Bank PLC, CIBC and Royal Bank of Canada involving US $60M
- Re-financing (syndicated loan) of Courts Group of companies in the UK and the Caribbean
- Sale of Mutual Bank of the Caribbean
- Take Over Bids (including the recent Sagicor Financial Corporation and Barbados Farms Limited take over) involving US $40M.
- Representing and advising Fairmont Hotels on the sale of their prestigious Glitter Bay and Royal Pavilion Hotels by way of corporate sales.
- Representing the prestigious Apes Hill Development in Barbados in relation to a US$400m real estate development.
- Counsel for a number of public and private companies.
- Counsel for three major banks in Barbados in field of securities, corporate and retail.
Hastings Attorneys Law Firm is a partnership of Attorneys-at-Law formed in 2008, comprising Barry L.V. Gale, QC and Leodean Worrell as Partners, in addition to 8 associate Attorneys and a complement of 12 other team members. Barry is Senior Partner and Leodean Worrell is the Managing Partner.
Hastings Attorneys offers a wide range of legal services in both the international and local business areas. The practice includes, but is not limited to, banking and finance, mergers and acquisitions, ship charges and mortgage finance, mutual funds, bond issues, joint ventures and advice on international finance and syndicated loan transactions.
The Firm also advises on the establishment of International Business Companies and Societies and represents a number of large domestic banks and Insurance Companies including FirstCaribbean International Bank (formerly Barclays Bank PLC and CIBC), Republic Bank (Barbados) Limited and Sagicor Life Inc and Sagicor Financial Corporation ( leading regional and international insurance and financial services companies). The Firm also advises on project and real estate finance as well as offering a comprehensive litigation support services for it’s clients.